Saturday, February 27, 2021

And then there was one :-(



 It's been a long time since we posted. Charles and Maggie May have been living the good life with me, the mommy. However, Charles has been not doing well and when we calculated his age, we realized that he was 16 years old. 

Charles has been giving me signs that we would be soon be memories to one another for several months but as long as he was eating and making his morning jump from the floor up to my tall bed, I was willing to keep following our regular path. That had become more difficult for him though.

Wednesday morning, he couldn't make the jump and he didn't want any food (hadn't eaten on Tuesday either) and I knew it was time. We spent our remaining hours, telling each other in our own ways, how much we loved and would miss one another until we were together again.

Maggie May and I are finding out how to live without our tuxedo buddy and she still looks for him every morning. She's sleeping with me every night and has taken over Charles' job of waking me up too early for breakfast. 

Charles saved my life 5 years ago when the smoke detectors didn't work by banging on my closed bedroom door until he woke me up. We lost his brother to smoke inhalation.  He was my hero and I always promised I would do whatever he needed or wanted for his entire life and I like to think Wednesday morning also honored that promise.

I will miss my big tuxedo boy. See you at the Rainbow Bridge, Charles.

19 comments:

  1. We are so very sorry to hear about dear Charles and we all send love and hugs to you and Maggie May. It's never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sorry for your loss. Comforting hugs, purrs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was distressing to read in the Cat Blogosphere site. I didn't know Charles, but he sounds to have been a wonderful friend. He was indeed a hero, and it must have hurt terribly to have to say good-bye. I'm sorry. Godspeed, Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so sorry to read of Charles' passing and are sending our hugs and purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farewell, sweet boy ~ wishing you peace beyond your rainbow, and
    purrs and prayers for those who loved you so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds as though you handled it perfectly. He'll still be visiting you in your dreams, never doubt that! Hugs to you from your Magpie, and ear licks to Maggie Mae from my two kitty Quilt Inspectors Wraith and Zoe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Charles. We love them well and care for them and their lives are far too short. Soft purrs and deepest condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so sorry to read that hero Charles has gone on to his next adventure. We know he and his brother are running free. Purrayers and POTP to you and Maggie Mae as you mourn him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also a member of the "broken hearted club" having lost one of our dogs on Thursday. So, I know all too well how you are feeling. My prayers for peace and comfort are coming to you from my corner of Virginia. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mum and I are so very sorry to hear about Charles.
    It is never easy to say goodbye to a beloved kitty.
    Sending you lots of hugs and comforting purrs
    Purrs, Julie and the mum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to read about your handsome Charles' passing...what fine set of man whiskers he had and velvety black nose. He knew great love!
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry of the loss of your sweet Charles. What a special boy he was ♥ Fly free beautiful Soul✨
    Soft Pawkisses to comfor you🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to read of your loss. Its so hard when we have to have these kinds of goodbyes...
    Hugs to you at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry for the loss of your handsome boy. XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. I apologize for my tardiness in connecting with you ~ so saddened by your loss of Charles ~ what a handsome doggie ~ fur persons are so hard to lose ~ love you, Charles ~ he will live in your heart forever ~

    Living moment by moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are so very sorry for your loss. Charles was such a handsome boy and it's never easy saying good-by. Hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. We send you our purrs and prayers of support. It is so hard to say goodbye to a dear fur friend. Charles please watch over us all until we meet again

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all for the kind comments. Maggie and I are finding our way and last night, she decided that it was a good time to enjoy zoomies about 2 hours after we went to bed!

    ReplyDelete